Thursday, January 17, 2013

Vietnam - Arriving to Hanoi

Hello everyone!

I'm in Vietnam since a little while now and you might wonder how my trip to Vietnam was. And you're right! There is always something interesting to tell, isn't it?

Well, if you remember, I was in Kep, in the south of Cambodia. I finally bought, the day before of course!, a flight ticket to Hanoi.
As my flight back home is from Ho Chi Minh, in the south of Vietnam, it was wiser to start from the north.
The cheapest flight was from Siem Reap. No problem! I asked and they said the bus was only (!) 8 hours from Kep to Siem Reap.
Well... if there is something you need to know about buses in Cambodia, is that... THE SCHEDULE IS NEVER RESPECTED!!! Bullshit!
I spent 13 hours in that bus! 13 hours!!! Can you imagine the state of my bottom?...
Hope you can't actually...
We did I don't know how many stops... it was endless!

But we finally arrived to Siem Reap! :) Youhouuuu!!!
Well... there is something you need to know about Siem Reap. Each bus company has its own bus station. And it could be anywhere outside Siem Reap. And this was the case for the bus of this company. We were in the middle of nowhere. But it was no issue! My hostel was to send a tuk tuk to pick me up. I just needed to call them and tell them where I was.
So I call them. And they said it would take them 20 minutes to arrive as it was a bit far. No problem!
Really?
Here's the picture: it was 9pm, in the middle of nowhere, deep dark night, me the only white person remaining between at least 7 Cambodian men, some of whom where drunk. :(
One of them, visibly drunk, sat next to me and started talking to me in Khmer:
- "You sleeping?"
- "Yeah, yeah"... meaning: keep talking I don't really care...
- "You and me sleeping."
- "NOOOOOOO." (Please, tuk tuk driver, please hurry up!)
He kept talking in Khmer... so I started speaking in Spanish. Can't you imagine how awkward it was?

Finally the tuk tuk driver arrived and I reached the hostel.. but not for long. My flight was at 6am, so I needed to leave at 4 am. You think I'm on holidays and resting, hein?

My flight to Hanoi was ok.
The arrival was not so ok though... it was winter there! And don't laugh about it... I know 10 or 15 degrees is not very cold in Switzerland. But in Hanoi, it's so humid... and there is no heating AND NO DOORS!!! No doors... it means you are constantly in the cold, feeling the breeeeeeze.
Of course, I had the only room in the hostel without heating.
I went to buy a winter jacket, a scarf, long sleeves shirts, gloves, hat, leggings... everything! Brrrrrr!
The only happy people in Hanoi were the salesmen. They knew every tourist will buy a jacket. And it's true. EVERY tourist I met bought a jacket upon arrival! Hahaha! We all thought Vietnamese winter would be "cool".

I'll keep you posted on my next adventures. In the meantime, best of luck!

Rebeca

2 comments:

  1. This one is funny . . . kinda creepy as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it so funny???? I think whole Asia is best place for tourism i recommend you to get flights to Islamabad you can see yourself that there are countless and matchless beauty attraction in Asia.

    ReplyDelete