Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Luang Prabang

Hello everyone!

Here I am in Luang Prabang. I took a flight to come here as I read the roads were not very safe. Well, I'm not sure the plane was safer!
How can I describe it? In French, we use the word "coucou" to describe an obsolete-to-be plane. And this one was! Believe me!
Have you seen this film with Harrison Ford where he is the pilot of a "coucou" in a paradisiac island? The plane with Harrison Ford and a nice girl inside crash in a lost island and it becomes a love story bla bla bla. Well, before entering the plane for Luang Prabang I checked if the pilot was handsome!
Once on flight, they turned off the "fasten seat belt" sign. No way! I kept my seat belt fasten!
I honestly never felt so close to my death moment!

But here I am. Still alive... By now!
Oh, yeah! Because I'm sick :(
I was feeling very tired and nauseous. I went to bed super early, like 9pm. And I had fever all night long! When I woke up I was still feeling bad. Back home, I wouldn't care too much. Come on! Everybody has a fever from time to time! But when you are traveling a fever can become really problematic... Like malaria, dengue or any other tropical disease.
You wanna know something funny? My French guide, Le Routard, said that getting sick in Laos was very bad because the hospitals are lame. And before coming to Laos I was a bit nervous about it. Another reason to never get nervous for anything! Otherwise it might happen!

So I went to the hospital. I solemnly swear I will NEVER EVER criticize Swiss hospitals anymore! NEVER!
Hopefully the doctor speaks English... More or less. I explained to him I had fever and wanted to be sure it's not malaria.
-Do you have diallea?
-What?
-Diallea... You go often to the toilet?
-Oh, no.

The doctor said they needed a blood sample to test for malaria. Honestly, no kidding: 4 nurses for a blood sample! And they manage to spread my blood all around! I just closed my eyes and decided I didn't need to see that.
The lab exam took one hour. Hour that I spent in that little bed, suffering like a dog and wondering if it could be worse. And, yeah, it got worse!!!
A guy came with a hole puncher, no kidding, and started making holes in the wall just beside me!!! A hole puncher!!! And when he finished doing holes, he started with a hammer! What's wrong in this country?!
Actually, you need to choose: coming before 8am and pay more, or come in normal hours and get the hole puncher. Your choice.

And the worse in this story is that I need to go back on Thursday to make sure I don't have dengue! Oh, yeah, because they told me I don't have malaria. Ouf! I'm wondering if I don't prefer living in the ignorance and skip Thursday's appointment... Some things are just too hard to live...

I'll let you know how my health is doing. In the meantime... Wait for it, wait for it... BEST OF LUCK!

Rebeca


No comments:

Post a Comment